FRIDAY FUN: Would you advise your kids to become planners?

Workers in finance and banking are amongst the least likely to recommend their career path to their children. Do you agree?

According to a salary.com survey, only 24% of respondents in the finance and banking sector would recommend that their children follow in their footsteps. The only industry to record a smaller figure was retail, at 18%.

At the other end of the spectrum were agriculture workers, with 67% – a result that could be attributed to respondents hoping that their offspring will take over the family farm.

Next up was professional services (44%), IT (43%), health care (42%) and energy and utilities (36%).

Within the finance and banking sector, specific results were not made available for responses from financial advisers.

Would you suggest that your children go into financial advice? Have your say by commenting below.

• GAB on 16/11/2012 9:55:59 AM

Would i advise my kids to be planners?....well, not in this country anyway that's for sure.

• Martin on 16/11/2012 10:26:16 AM

The Government has put up so much policy and red tape that I would not inflict the level of stress that I suffer on my own children. No way

• Scott on 16/11/2012 10:32:12 AM

there is more money to be made and far more job prospects by becoming a union official.

• Morgan on 16/11/2012 11:01:38 AM

Of course I would - it is a brilliant industry we work in. Yes there is a lot of red tape and uncertainty at the moment, however been able to help clients financially is a very rewarding career.

• Alleycat on 16/11/2012 1:27:27 PM

Well, my eldest son holds a Commerce degree with Accounting and a LLB (hons) and I am a CFP with an education.
    We've both worked out that he is far too smart to get into financial planning.
    Between the Labour govt and regulators trying to kill all the participants in the industry, who in their right minds would want to be a part of that !!

• Alessandro on 16/11/2012 4:54:29 PM

No way, find something more intelectually rewarding. Red tape kills brain cells and creativity.

• Change happens on 16/11/2012 8:53:48 PM

All industries go through change - my son recently asked me about joining the industry. After working through what he wanted out of his life/ career, the benefits and risks he is now working in the industry and completing RG146 and starting on his masters.